We enter the New Year with renewed vigour as our focus turns to the huge variety of activities that are increasingly driving visitors to Dartmoor …
Walking – the most popular reason to visit this stunning part of Britain. Feel on top of the world with panoramic views taking in the diversity of this ancient landscape; shaped by man since time began.
Here are just some of the facilities we make available to ensure that Holwell provides the best walking experience on Dartmoor;
Guided walks – teaming up with “Dartmoorwalksthisway” we can provide guides for individual groups and tailor walks to suite a wide range of requirements, interests and challenges
Printed routes for everyone – for those preferring a more “DIY” approach, we supply a variety of printed routes that start from the moment you step out of the door, so you don’t have to embark on any complicated travelling by car and can instead enjoy a circular route back to the door again.
Pub Guide – details of all the local watering holes and on which walks they appear, whether they are family, dog friendly, style of cuisine, garden, stream, able to tie a horse up outside etc
Walking events via newsletter – via the Dartmoor National Park we are able to provide details of Walking Events and Special Interest Guided walks that individuals and groups can join
Fact sheets on points of interest; Holwell is surrounded by ancient history and it is always helpful to know what to look for in advance so they can be included in the walks. For example, just on the other side of the valley is Holwell Quarry. Here the best grade of Granite in the World was extracted by Dartmoor Pony and cart right up to the latter part of the 19th Century.
Facilities in cottages for Walkers;
• hallways for muddy walking boots, wet coats to hang and dry
• range cookers so you can leave a joint or casserole to “slow cook” whilst you are out
• plenty of hot water and power showers and baths to soak away the exertions of the day
• open log fires for relaxing infront of with a well earned glass of wine !
• if you are bringing a dog(s), we provide towels, bowls and beds
• Cycle hire arranged
• Electric bike hire now available too – lots of hills !
• Printed routes
• Cycling events – Tour of GB etc
• Under cover and secure storage if required for bikes
• Other nearby cycling experiences to contrast – haldon forrest
• Bouldering and climbing from Hay Tor, Bonehill etc
• Plenty of space for equipment storage
• Info sheets from UK Climbing
• For every level – Shilstone Rocks, Babeney, or Finlake for beginners, Foxworthy for hunting with South Devon
• Events Calendar for Holwell Lawn
• Hunt following – access to calendar via PKH
• All year round on in season on River
• Gillie can be arranged
• Fly or Coarse; River Dart or lakes
• Equipment hire or storage if bringing own
• Fly with selection of Birds of Prey from moorland just outside the farm
• For any age; always a memory to savour